Attendance at James Denman
James Denman Middle School
Absence: If a student is absent from school there are two types of absences they may fall under, excused or unexcused. Both types will still show up on a student attendance profile report. There is more than one way that you can report an absence.
- Call into the school the morning of the absence to report by phone. 415.469.4535
- Send the student to school with letter from parent and or doctor.
- Email Ms. Hearne at HearneR@sfusd.edu, or grade level counselor
- Come into school and report absence
Tardy: If a student is tardy for school they have a 15 minute window (between 9-9:15am and Weds. 9:30-9:45am) before they have to go to the attendance office (RM116) to retrieve a tardy pass. After 9:15 they are to report to the attendance office with or without excuse and then report straight class. You are able to report a student being tardy the same way you report an absence.
Early Dismissal: Students are allowed to leave early from school with permission from parent / guardian. If a student needs to leave or be released early from school there is more than one way to report it.
- Send the student with a note the same morning of early dismissal with time they need to be dismissed or picked up.
- Call into the school that morning and give the time student needs to be dismissed.
- Email Ms. Hearne or grade level counselor day prior to dismissal or morning of with the time that student needs to be dismissed.
Truant: Students will show up on a truancy list after 18 PERIODS of either absence, unexcused absence, tardy, unexcused tardy, tardy 30 minutes or more. There are two different types of letters you may receive for students that are considered truant. Families that receive a truancy letter are able to call in or stop by to correct any attendance. After receiving 3 letters and no contact from parent and or guardian the school then goes forward with the next step in attendance protocol through the district.
If you have any questions or concerns about the attendance of your child please feel free to call, email, or stop by Ms. Hearne’s office (RM116) and she will assist you.
One monday of every month students have early release at 12:50pm. The following dates for early release are:
Please Remember to send student with a note in the morning if they have a medical appointment or plan on getting picked up early. Please call within at least a hour of pick up if you forget to send student with note!